Thursday, February 20, 2014

Fables & Fruit

Discussion #4 will be based on the Parables and Pineapples

If you've been keeping up with Gather Ground then you know that I love alliteration.  Therefore, when I decided to make this week's Starting Point about Parables I was pondering what concept combination might be particularly well-paired with the stories shared by Jesus in the New Testament.  Initially for the sake of alliteration, I settled on the topic of Pineapples!  It's random, I know, but then upon doing some research on the luxurious fruit (that I am undoubtedly allergic to upon consumption), it seemed like an excellent pairing.  Join us for an undoubtedly unconventional chat this Saturday the 22nd as we unpack our favorite parables and dine on some delicious pineapple muffins, fresh pineapple and the usual brownies and coffee.  Remember: Join at any time, for any amount of time, the doors are open from 10-2, and I don't care if I've never met you, Gather Ground is for all ladies - just email me if you need directions or more info.

VERSE

B.Y.O.P. - There are over 40 parables told by Jesus in the New Testament.
Pick your favorite and be prepared to share it with the group.
Not familiar with parables? Don't have a favorite?  Don't have a Bible?  Don't panic.
Where to find a Parable: Matthew & Luke have the most parables and there are a few scattered in the books of Mark & Thomas (and Google knows where they all are)

ANECDOTE

A few interesting facts about Pineapple:

Pineapples, like tomatoes, spread around the world so thoroughly because they were kept on board ships to ward of scurvy in sailors.

One pineapple plant produces only one pineapple every 2 years.

Pineapple canneries use every bit of the pineapple. The skins, core and end portions are used to make a variety of products including vinegar, alcohol and animal food.

Bromelain is an enzyme contained in pineapple which breaks down proteins. This enzyme isn't only good for your digestion of protein but it also means you can use pineapple juice as a meat tenderizer.

There are over 2,000 plants in the Bromeliad Family and the Pineapple is the only one with edible fruit.

Keywords & Beginning Thoughts:

Parable / Analogy / Lesson / Pineapple / Complexity / Unique

There are several instances in the New Testament when Jesus responds to a question with a Parable rather than a straight answer.  He was always trying to explain things to men in a way that made them think and often tying the meaning directly to Old Testament laws and scriptures.  As if men never really understood the weight of the questions they asked and the complexity of a proper answer.  I love reading through the various parables and gaining new insight each time I read them.  I'm excited to see which ones you are drawn to and why!  Likewise, I never quite appreciated how complex pineapples are!  Just like the New Testament, they are sweet and rich in history.  Also, I learned that a pineapple is not necessarily one fruit, but a conglomerate of 100s of fruits packed tightly together; kind of like all the short bits in the Gospels.  Pineapples have represented affluence, beauty and hospitality among other things.  They are an analogy in themselves.  Let's partake in the tangy delight and digest the Word of God together this week!  Gather Ground!

Check back on Tuesday for the Discussion Highlights and to Continue the Conversation!
Comment below if you have anything specific you'd like brought up on Saturday but you know you cannot physically attend, otherwise, wait to pitch in your thoughts till Tuesday.  Either way, your contribution will be accepted with glee.


Sources: 
http://www.kingoffruit.com.au/fun-pineapple-facts.html
http://faculty.ucc.edu/biology-ombrello/pow/pineapple.htm
http://catholic-resources.org/Bible/Parables.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment