Friday, March 7, 2014

Good & Lenty

Discussion #5 will begin with an exploration of Lent

Many of us practice Lent and many of us are clueless about it!  I fell into the particularly 'clueless' category and did some research this week about what it is, when it began and how people participate in it today.  Come join us and familiarize yourself with Lent.  It's a beautiful practice that prepares our hearts for Easter!  Join us this Saturday March 8th and email me if you need details.  Otherwise, find our Starting Point below and enjoy!

VERSE - Isaiah 58:6-9
“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
    and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
    and break every yoke?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry
    and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
    and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
    and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness[a] will go before you,
    and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
Then you will call, and the Lord will answer;
    you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

ANECDOTE
Excerpt from "7" by Jen Hatmaker

Oh how we love our religious yokes, not for what they communicate about God, but what they say about us.  This is the kind of people we are.  We say "no" when everyone else says "yes."  We don't do that. We don't watch that. We don't vote that way.  We don't go there.  We don't include them.  But God's idea of a fast is less about what we're against and more about what we are for.
...
When we hear "fast" we put on a yoke of self-denial.  When God said "fast," He meant to take off the yoke of oppression.  The Isaiah 58 fast is not about mechanics of abstinence; it is a fast from self-obsession, greed, apathy, and elitism.  When it becomes more about me than the marginalized I've been charged to serve, I become the confused voice in this passage: "Why have I fasted and you have not seen it?"

Remember: Join at any time, for any amount of time; the doors are open from 10-2.  Brownies, apples and coffee are all free while supplies last. Gather Ground is for all ladies - just email me if you need directions or more info.  Parking can be confusing, but I assure you it's always possible and my dogs will be confined for those who are canine-cautious.  I look forward to spending time with all of you!


No comments:

Post a Comment